Another Crazy Week in Deutschland!

Note from Kelly (mom):  Sorry that there was no update last week, the letter was of a more personal nature, and written just for me.  🙂  (Moms need those sometimes!).  He didn’t have time to write one for the blog!  Also – if you have a chance, Austin would LOVE to get REAL letters – emails are awesome, but he has limited time just on Mondays to read and write back to everyone – so if you can, sending a real letter would be MUCH appreciated!  Plus, he can keep them and re-read them when he needs a little connection to home…which is something he can’t do with emails.

Hi Everyone!

So this has been a pretty interesting couple of weeks. A whole lot of crazy stuff has happened. I’ll try not to forget anything, but I probably will. Too much.

So to start off with some literal crazy, guess who Elder Watson and I ran in to last week? Our crazy drunk/crazy friend Mario!  We were walking in the middle of the city because we had to go to an appointment, and all of a sudden we hear someone yelling “HEEYY”. I immediately recognized the voice of Mario. We tried to keep walking and pretend that we didn’t hear him, but in my heart I knew that there was no point. He had found us, and he was going to talk with us. So he did. So for a few minutes he very drunkenly rambled to us something about God bless America and the Queen. No idea. And how he had a friend in Kaiserslautern who he wanted us to find for him because he wanted to talk to him. So yeah, that made my day.

Next interesting event:  So we got to go visit Herr Grecco last week. He’s the Italian man who hardly speaks any German, but we visit every now and then because he’s a pretty lonely guy. So E. Watson and I had already told the other Elders about all of his “catchphrases” that he says each time we had visited him, so during the visit we all kept note of how many times he would say one of his “catchphrases”. I can’t remember the numbers, but it was pretty dang ridiculous. He said one of them about 27 times if I remember correctly. Elder Kalt managed to sneak a picture of him to send back home, so I’ll get him to share that with me eventually.

This last Tuesday Elder Watson and I had to wake up at about 4 in the morning to catch a train to Frankfurt for a Golden-Trainer meeting. The meeting lasted pretty much all day and was really good. That’s because President Schwartz is probably one of the most awesome and amazing guys I’ve ever met. He’s just a super great guy. He’ll definitely be a general authority someday. Anyways, Elder Watson had to stay in Frankfurt overnight because he had to go to a Leadership Training Meeting the next day, so I had to go split with another Elder named Elder Oberhansley in Kaiserslautern. Well four other Elders and I had to take a train back to Kaiserslautern, where I’d meet up with Elder Oberhansley, and the other four would drive their cars that they had there back to their areas. Our train was scheduled to leave at about 5, but because apparently during a storm a few trees had fallen on the tracks, our train was delayed just a wee bit. Four and a half hours to be exact. So yeah, we pretty much had to sit around Frankfurt Haubtbahnhoff for the entire time, and wait to find out where we were supposed to go. We got to eat Burger King, though, so I was happy. Well eventually we got back to Kaiserslautern at about 11:30 at night, and all of the other Elders were too tired to drive back to their areas, so the five of us all spent the night at another pair of Elder’s apartment. So we had seven elders in one apartment. A little cramped, I had to sleep on the floor, but it’s fine and it’s fun.

I hit a big point in my mission this last Saturday. I got things thrown at me for the first time! The other three elders and I were leaving a member appointment, and heading toward the bus stop when we walked past a group of four maybe 15 year olds sitting in a park. They’re all wearing sagged basketball shorts, high socks, gold necklaces, flat hat turned backwards, etc. They were pretty dang “thug” *Sarcasm*. So anyways we kind of politely acknowledged them and then kept walking down this big set of stairs toward the bus stop. All of a sudden we start noticing that they are very inaccurately throwing some wild crab-apples and small rocks at us. We just ignored it and then waited at the bus stop, while they threw stuff at us from a big ledge in front of us and up a little bit. They went on for like a solid minute without hitting any of us, so we all kind of decided to give them a little sass. Just little polite comments like “good throw” and “you’re so talented” every time they would miss us. I was way amused. I thought it was hilarious. I did really want to give them some snarky sass, for that is my personality, but we decided that was not such a great idea.  I think that they were really irritated, so they stayed for like five minutes throwing things at us. At one point I stood right in front of them and stretched out my arms for them to try, but they still couldn’t hit me! I was basically like Samuel the Lamanite. Ha. Mormon Joke. So yeah, that was a silly little experience.

Oh yeah, one thing that has made me super happy is my new flash drive! A lot of the missionaries here have flash drives that they use to share music and other files with each other, so I bought one. I now have a flash drive with about 3300 songs on it. It’s awesome and a little ridiculous. I have pretty much every disney song, in English and German, and a whole lot of church songs, and a whole bunch of random crap. It’s beautiful.

There’s probably other stuff that I’m forgetting, but that’s all I can think of for now. Well now I’ve gotta go buy groceries for the week! Feel free to write me if you haven’t, it fills my heart with exceedingly great joy!

Tschüß people!

Elder Austin Cassell

My mom asked, so here is my daily schedule:

  • 6:30am to 7:00am:  Exercise
  • 7am -8am:  Showering, dressing, eating
  • 8am-9am:  Personal study
  • 9am-11am:  Companion study
  • 11am-12pm:  Lunch
  • 12pm-1pm:  Language study
  • 1pm-9pm:  Proselytizing time. So appointments, contacting, coordinating, stuff like that, with dinner thrown in somewhere in that time.
  • 9pm-9:30pm:  Planning.
  • 9:30pm to 10:30pm:  Getting ready for the next day/ relaxing a little bit before bed.

IMG_1559 IMG_1579 IMG_1612 IMG_1617 IMG_1655 IMG_1657 IMG_1682 IMG_1693 IMG_1694 IMG_1765


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s